Thursday, September 29, 2011

Think!

I've had a passion for books since I can remember. I recall being in elementary school. Once a week, my Mother would take me to the public library. I would check out 10 books, the max you could check out at one time, I'd devour them and then return the following week for 10 more. Thank you very much LAPL.

So, when I come across a book that speaks to me, I like to share it with whom ever is willing to listen. Think, Straight Talk for Women to Stay Smart in a Dumbed-Down World by Lisa Bloom was recommended to me by my lovely friend, Celina. She gave me a synopsis and I was immediately hooked. Of course, I had to check out the goods for myself. I purchased this book and read it in about 8 hours. It was definitely a page turner and eye opening.

"In this provocative, entertaining, educational, and thoroughly researched book, Lisa outlines the ways that we as a society, and particularly women, have fallen off the intellectual path, and, very specifically, points to how damaging this has been to us on many levels. Lisa shows us the fallout–but she also provides the solutions for “Reclaiming the Brain God Gave You” and seizing back control of your mind and your life. Think is delivered in a no-nonsense manner that will make you laugh, make you question yourself, make you squirm, but, most important, make you start thinking again."


I know for a fact that on a day to day basis, we don't spend much time thinking about global issues. On the contrary, we think about many things already featured on this blog. Clothes, make up, shoes, apprearances, vanity. I am definitely guilty of spending more hours tracking down the latest Chanel Graphite Polish than I am volunteering at a homeless shelter. We get caught up. I get it. But after reading this book, I promise you, you will give more meaningful things in life more thought. Do yourself a favor, pick this book up and read it.

Also, if you're interested, Lisa Bloom's website has many more book recommendations and meaningful content to peruse over. http://think.tv/  Happy reading.


Posted by Meli, Adventures In All things Beautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment